Can volunteering lead to a happier, healthier life? A current National Geographic special publication on local newsstands entitled, “Blue Zones: The Science of Living Longer,” discusses the critical roles which community and a sense of purpose play in helping individuals to enjoy happier, healthier lives.
Researchers studying “blue zones,” or areas across the globe where people are living the longest, have identified that having a sense of purpose in one’s life beyond work “may be worth up to seven years of additional life expectancy.”
Science Daily profiled a similar 2017 study conducted by researchers of Ghent University who analyzed data on volunteering, employment and health of more than 40,000 citizens in 29 European countries. They found that volunteering is associated with better employment and health outcomes. The results also showed volunteers exhibited the health attributes of non-volunteers who were 5 years younger in age.
These scientific studies confirm the simple truth that “doing good, feels good!”
Short-term and single-day volunteers are needed to assist with upcoming events. Business teams and groups are welcomed!
- Florida Heritage Book Festival – Sept 13-14-15
- Basketball Tournament – Sept 14 (United Way of St. Johns County)
- Walk to End Alzheimer’s- Sept 29 (Alzheimer’s Association)
- Make a Difference Day – Oct 20 (St. Johns Housing Partnership)
- Click on the links above to view the full details or our complete online listing of volunteer needs at StJohnsVolunteers.org
SAVE THE DATE. View our Nonprofit Special Events Calendar to identify charitable events taking place this Fall and Winter which raise funds and are made possible by the work of volunteers. To add a nonprofit event, email full event details to email@example.com
Volunteers change lives, and you can, too!
StJohnsVolunteers.org features over 100 ways you can make a difference. Step into service through one of the following featured service opportunities:
- Share Your Lunch with a Child. Lunchtime mentors are needed 2 times per month for a new program to support elementary school students. (The Webster School, A Community Partnership School)
- Adult Tutors. Help open doors of opportunity! Serve as an adult literacy tutor. (Learn to Read)
- Drivers. Deliver nutritional meals and fresh produce to homebound seniors. (Pie in the Sky; St. Augustine Christian Service Center; COA Meals on Wheels program).
- Guest Instructors – Basic Life Skills. Teach a 1 hour, one time basic life skills class. (Alpha Omega Miracle Home)
- Thrift Shop Volunteers. Assist shoppers and help raise funds for critical local services. (Betty Griffin Center; Spectrum Thrift Store; Sertoma Club; Alpha Omega Miracle Home)
- Patient/Family Support. Provide compassionate support to local families. (Community Hospice & Palliative Care; Haven)
- Join the Hospital Auxiliary. Make new friends and serve in our local healthcare network. (Flagler Hospital)
- Program Coordinators. Lead the way! Coordinate volunteers packing weekend meal kits for students. (Blessings in a Backpack)
The new management team of Publix in Palencia volunteered as a team and prepared meals at St. Augustine Youth Services. They also enjoyed a team building session at the Volunteer Center just prior to their grand opening event.
To connect your business team with a volunteer service opportunity or team-building visit at the Volunteer Center, please contact us at 904-584-9600 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Construction has begun on the new Flagler Health Village in Murabella. The First Coast YMCA and Flagler Hospital recently announced their intent to bring the Y to this location to serve World Golf Village area residents. Together, the First Coast YMCA and Flagler Hospital St. Augustine will provide area residents with one-stop access to a wide-spectrum of medical services, health and wellbeing resources, and education and fitness opportunities.
- The Stephen R. Chapman Family Community Campus of Community Hospice & Palliative Care is now under construction and slated for completion in late 2018. The 16,550 square-foot campus will include a conference and education center featuring meeting space, corporate and clinical offices and a resale store. Located at 1373 Dixie Highway, the new location will offer a variety of consumer- and health care provider-focused educational programs, advance care planning and community grief counselling and workshops, and community meeting space open to residents and organizations.
- The United Way of St. Johns County will host its “Renovation Celebration” on Thursday, September 27 from 4:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. at 117 Bridge Street, St. Augustine, Florida. REGISTER
- The Nonprofit Center of Northeast Florida will host a special program on Board Governance & Fundraising featuring national speaker Chuck Loring on September 25th in Jacksonville and in St. Johns County on September 26th from 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. at Crosswater Hall in Nocatee. REGISTER
Visit the Volunteer Center
Interested in volunteering? Looking to increase employee morale and productivity through a team-building service opportunity? Call us today to schedule a Volunteer Center visit and one-on-one consultation. Let our friendly staff and volunteer “matchmakers” connect you with resources to help you reach your personal or professional volunteering goals. Call 904.584.9600 or email us today at email@example.com
Connect people and resources to enrich the quality of life in St. Johns County.
1 News Place, Suite A
St. Augustine, FL 32086
* ST. JOHNS VOLUNTEERS!, INC. IS A NONPROFIT 501-C-3 ORGANIZATION. A COPY OF THE OFFICIAL REGISTRATION AND FINANCIAL INFORMATION MAY BE OBTAINED FROM THE DIVISION OF CONSUMER SERVICES BY CALLING TOLL-FREE WITHIN THE STATE. REGISTRATION DOES NOT IMPLY ENDORSEMENT, APPROVAL, OR RECOMMENDATION BY THE STATE. FDACS Registration: CH54653 www.800helpfla.com 1-800-435-7352